The School and the City: The J. J. School of Art in BombayThe Editorial Team July 01, 2024 The Sir Jamsetjee Jejeebhoy School of Art, commonly known as the J. J. School of Art, is one of the oldest and most well-known art institutions in India. Established in 1857 through a donation by the Parsi businessman Jamsetjee Jejeebhoy, the school was initially set up at the Elphinstone College premises and offered elementary drawing and design classes, moving eventually to the present building in 1878. How did the school participate in the construction of the city that surrounded it? Some of its most prominent landmarks, especially those going back to the nineteenth century, were created under its influence, making the growth of the city and the school mutual constitutive. Let’s take a brief look at this evolving history of the school and its significant contributions to the cityscape. |

Baburao Sadwelkar
Tea House Across J.J.
1951, Watercolour on paper, 14.3 X 20.8 in.
Collection: DAG

Baburao Sadwelkar
Tea House Across J.J.
1951, Watercolour on paper, 14.3 X 20.8 in.
Collection: DAG

Baburao Sadwelkar
Tea House Across J.J.
1951, Watercolour on paper, 14.3 X 20.8 in.
Collection: DAG

Baburao Sadwelkar
Tea House Across J.J.
1951, Watercolour on paper, 14.3 X 20.8 in.
Collection: DAG

Baburao Sadwelkar
Tea House Across J.J.
1951, Watercolour on paper, 14.3 X 20.8 in.
Collection: DAG
Sir Jejeebhoy was inspired by the Great Exhibition of London in 1851, and his trips to various countries like China where he admired the variety of crafted objects. Besides a generous endowment, he wrote a letter to the Governor Lord Falkland on 9 May, 1853, proposing the ‘establishment of a school for the improvement of arts and manufacture… (which would enable the) employment of the people and the general improvement of the habits of the industry of the middle and lower classes of our native population.’ |
|

George Chinnery
Sir Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy and his Chinese secretary
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

George Chinnery
Sir Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy and his Chinese secretary
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

George Chinnery
Sir Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy and his Chinese secretary
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

George Chinnery
Sir Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy and his Chinese secretary
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

George Chinnery
Sir Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy and his Chinese secretary
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons
Baburao Sadwelkar on the early years of J. J.: ‘In the J. J. School of Art training in drawing, painting and design was launched along the system followed by art schools in England. Drawing of Greek and Roman antiques in light and shade was introduced and human models were engaged for the study of portraiture. Lessons of rendering tonal values in monochrome and in colour were accepted and mastered by the students. The skill and perception of these artists is evident in their work. The theory of linear and aerial perspective was altogether new to the students. Before long the students began to feel that their traditional way of painting lacked any theoretical or scientific base. The British, along with running art schools, also undertook several archival projects. One of them was of copying the Ajanta frescoes and the work was assigned to the J. J. School of Art.’ |
|

John Lockwood Kipling
John Griffiths
1865
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

John Griffiths and students from the Bombay School of Art
Copy of painting inside the caves of Ajanta (Cave 2)
1881-83, Oil Painting
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

John Lockwood Kipling
John Griffiths
1865
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

John Griffiths and students from the Bombay School of Art
Copy of painting inside the caves of Ajanta (Cave 2)
1881-83, Oil Painting
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

John Lockwood Kipling
John Griffiths
1865
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

John Griffiths and students from the Bombay School of Art
Copy of painting inside the caves of Ajanta (Cave 2)
1881-83, Oil Painting
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons
From 1900 onwards, architecture became an important discipline in the school’s roster. The students were involved in decorating landmark buildings in Mumbai, including the Victoria Terminus Station (now Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus), Crawford Market (now Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Mandai), and Rajabai Towers. Even today, a flyover outside the School is colloquially known as ‘the JJ flyover’. |
|

William Emerson
The Crawford Market Fountain
Image courtesy: Victorianweb and Wikimedia Commons

Detail of Crawford Market frieze
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb

William Emerson
The Crawford Market Fountain
Image courtesy: Victorianweb and Wikimedia Commons

Detail of Crawford Market frieze
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb

William Emerson
The Crawford Market Fountain
Image courtesy: Victorianweb and Wikimedia Commons

Detail of Crawford Market frieze
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb

Baburao Sadwelkar
Hornby Road Leading to Crawford Market Adorned with Vermilion Trams
1951, Watercolour on paper, 15.0 X 22.0 in.
Collection: DAG

Carwford Market (detail)
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb

Baburao Sadwelkar
Hornby Road Leading to Crawford Market Adorned with Vermilion Trams
1951, Watercolour on paper, 15.0 X 22.0 in.
Collection: DAG

Carwford Market (detail)
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb

Baburao Sadwelkar
Hornby Road Leading to Crawford Market Adorned with Vermilion Trams
1951, Watercolour on paper, 15.0 X 22.0 in.
Collection: DAG

Carwford Market (detail)
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb
In 1890, the school ‘was taken under the auspices of the Education Department of the Government of Bombay’ and ‘regular examinations were introduced, following the example of South Kensington.’ By 1891, the school had five distinct departments: ‘Drawing and Painting, Sculpture and Modelling, Architecture, Applied Arts and Arts and Crafts.’ These workshops were founded under the governorship of Lord Reay, who served as the Governor of Bombay from 1885 to 1890, and were therefore named The Lord Reay Art Workshops. They were housed in the Sir George Clarke Studies and Laboratories building, which was constructed specifically for this purpose. During the early 1890s, the Lord Reay Art Workshops were very active, with the sound of craftsmen's mallets ringing through the workshops and the spaces glowing with their work. |
|

Victoria Terminus (C. S. T.)
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb

Victoria Terminus (C. S. T.)
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb

Victoria Terminus (C. S. T.)
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb

Victoria Terminus (C. S. T.)
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb

Victoria Terminus (C. S. T.)
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb

Victoria Terminus (C. S. T.)
Photographer: Ramachandran Venkatesh, courtesy: Victorianweb

Victoria Terminus in 1870 with the statue in the canopy below the clock
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

Medallion depicting Lord Reay, designed by Thomas Earp, at the Victoria Terminus (C. S. T.)
Image courtesy: Victorianweb

Victoria Terminus in 1870 with the statue in the canopy below the clock
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

Medallion depicting Lord Reay, designed by Thomas Earp, at the Victoria Terminus (C. S. T.)
Image courtesy: Victorianweb

Victoria Terminus in 1870 with the statue in the canopy below the clock
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

Medallion depicting Lord Reay, designed by Thomas Earp, at the Victoria Terminus (C. S. T.)
Image courtesy: Victorianweb
Through an evolving set of pedagogical changes, a process through which innovative teachers worked with gifted students, a thorough grounding in craft and knowledge of art, the school became a hub of technical arts education soon, and eventually, a great center for fine arts practitioners in India. Since the late 1930s and 40s, through the effort of figures like Shankar Palshikar and others, the school would produce some of the most significant artists and architects of modern India, who would reshape the landscape of art for a postcolonial nation. The school’s glittering set of alumni includes M.V. Dhurandhar, M.F. Husain, Akbar Padamsee, F.N. Souza, Tyeb Mehta, S.H. Raza, Homai Vyarawalla, Bhanu Athaiya, B.V. Doshi, K.K. Hebbar, K.H. Ara, Uday Shankar, Prabhakar Barwe, Atul Dodiya and Tushar Joag. In 1952, the Department of Architecture became a part of the University of Mumbai, and the Sir JJ School of Architecture was established. In 1961, the Applied Arts department branched out and was recognised as an independent institute under the University of Mumbai. In 1981, the entire school became affiliated with the University of Mumbai. |
|

K. K. Hebbar
Fishing
1991, Oil on Masonite board, 21.7 x 27.2 in.
Collection: DAG

Kipling bungalow in the campus of the Sir J. J. School of Art, Mumbai
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

M. V. Dhurandhar
Indira Devi
Oleograph on paper, 27.5 x 19.7 in.
Collection: DAG

Shankar Palsikar
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

K. K. Hebbar
Fishing
1991, Oil on Masonite board, 21.7 x 27.2 in.
Collection: DAG

Kipling bungalow in the campus of the Sir J. J. School of Art, Mumbai
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons

M. V. Dhurandhar
Indira Devi
Oleograph on paper, 27.5 x 19.7 in.
Collection: DAG

Shankar Palsikar
Image courtesy: Wikimedia Commons